Monday 5 December 2011

Weekly Overview

Monday 28th November - Friday 2nd December 2011

For me, there had been a big build up to this week and I was looking forward to getting to do my solo and get it out the way. Then, I would feel like I have achieved my first major milestone being at uni and something I could be proud of before we break up for the hoildays.

I spent a lot of time this week concentrating on my solo and the written element to go with it. I wanted to convey something that showed my own personal style of dancing but also showed my experimental side and not being scared to try something new. I wanted this to come across in my written work too.

When it came to performing my solo I was nervous however, not as nervous as last week. I think the taster last week helped me to control this because I knew what to expect. I felt like I was being viewed from every angle because the group were sitting in a cirlce around me. I would find it interesting to have been watching myself from different areas of the room to see if my piece portrayed a different perseptive from varied angles. it felt like I was dancing forever, like my piece had become never ending. I almost became lost in the silence and caught in the moment. I began to enjoy dancing my solo rather than being scared of it. Once I had finished, I was overcome with a sense of relief that it was over and I could enjoy and appreciate the work others had done.

Being a member of the audience watching others, was almost as important as the dancing for me. It was the first time I had seen everyone in the group dance individually and I could get to know them as a dancer. Some dances were really engaging to watch because the movement style and quality was something I hadn't witnessed before.  It was challenging to be able to guess what the movement score was because most of them were very deep and complex. I could just about make out the body parts and possibly the quality.

I also found our improvisation lesson very interesting too. Towards the end of the lesson, we had to draw or moving selves, thinking about the skeleton and muscles. My drawings interpreted both of these. I tried to show my muscles in large shapes and the skeleton in thin lines in movements I had used throughout the lesson. I will upload the images when I have chance.

Overall, I was both looking forward to and dreading this week but I must say, it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I can breath as sigh of relief that my solo is complete, on the other hand, I still have other work to think about for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment