Tuesday 24 January 2012

Weekly Overview

Monday 16th January- Friday 20th January

In our phrase class we learnt a new floor sequence travelling from side to side which I really enjoyed. To begin with, I found it challenging because I couldn’t figure out where my hands need to be in order to hold my weight and balance however, I soon grasped the idea. I was able to move with ease and make each movement blend into the next. I would like to try another phrase like this because it was fun to learn and perform.

I found the Experiential Anatomy lesson a really valuable and interesting one. We explored shifting out weight from foot to foot in all directions. I pushed myself to the limits to see how far I could go before falling. I pushed myself that much that I became disorientated and I began to feel really ill. I needed to stop and gather myself again to be able to carry on. We then moved on to another exercise thinking about filling and emptying the limbs. I found this a really easy concept to understand and interpret. I would describe the sensation like an egg time. The sand is emptying from one end and is filling up the other.

-          The body parts carrying the most weight felt full and the lighter ones felt empty.

-          When lying on the floor, the areas with greater pressure felt full and the areas with less pressure felt empty.
-          It was as surreal feeling.


In Improvisation, we worked with falling and then catching yourself at the last minute. It was really simple to dance but complex to watch. You could hear distinct rhythmic patterns with the feet. It was interesting to see which directions people were going to go and which space they would occupy. I really liked the idea of this for a score and I would like to try this again. It switched a light bulb on in my head!

We continued to work on this task in partners. I almost felt like we could sense what each other were thinking and what the next move was going to be. It felt like a game, chasing, jumping, playful, childish, copying, following, bonding. We were constantly tricking and testing each other.

Our SRT lesson, was with Florence Peak. This was our first SRT lesson and I wondered what I would gain and learn from it. I expected it to be more hands on with partners because we only briefly touched on this. I didn’t expect to learn any choreography which I was surprised by. I really enjoyed learning this because it showed me something I didn’t expect in SRT.

I  have enjoyed the lessons last week and I feel I have gain knowledge which I can used again, learn from and develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment