Tuesday 25 March 2014

Peer Facilitation

Friday 14th March

So I wanted to focus on my own curiosities from the things I have learnt and discovered in my 3rd and final year in Coventry. For me, I enjoy having a cross curricular approach when learning. This year, this has been present for me particularly in Experiential Anatomy and in the phrase based work in Andrea's Release Based Contemporary classes. This was the stimulus for lesson that I created.

In Experiential Anatomy, I found the homologus, homolateral and contralateral patterns most interesting. Consequently, I picked all 3 to focus on in my lesson.

For my lesson, I wanted to familiarise the patterns I was focusing on, and then building on my curiosities, I wanted to create a phrase that utilised these movement patterns.

My Lesson Plan:



Here is a video of the phrase I created using the homologus, homolateral and contralateral patterns:

 
 
 
After the peer facilitation lesson, I reflected upon my teaching and also received some feedback from my tutor and peers.
 
 
Feedback:
  • Good use of technical terms as well as animal examples. Helped those who were unsure of correct terminology to understand which pattern was being used.
  • Good communication with peers
  • Clarifying my own knowledge whilst teaching others
  • Clear structure to class
  • Would I change my voice in a different context?
  • Be more demanding with those experienced in dance
 
My own thoughts:
  • I enjoyed sharing my own curiosities and exploring them whilst passing on information to my peers
  • I like asking questions when I teach because I can be reassured that they have understood and retained the information I have given them.
  • I was interested in the differences in opinion between myself and my peers. It wasn't to demonstrate that I was teaching it wrong but it reiterated previous discussions we had had about the initiation of the movement and the different ways movement can be interpreted. For example, I considered one movement to be contralateral because I was putting weight in to my R hand and pushing with my L leg. However in Natalie's demonstration of the movement, she had her body weight all on one side making it homolateral. The way we do a certain movement may not be the same as it was intended or how it was originally performed. We all make alteration to our movement in order to find the way that is most comfortable or familiar to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment