Tuesday 2 October 2012

Lauren Moore- Body Stories

I found it interesting to see an MA piece of dance work because this is something I could always progress to in the future once I have finished my degree. We only saw one half of the piece because it was intended as a duet. It was based on as the title suggests, body stories and emotions recollected from childhood. The movement was initially improvised with the use of layering and repetition.

The creative process and research that Lauren had done seemed very deep and thought provoking. It took her quite a time into her making process to actually come up with the final ideas. She also made a lot of choreography that she did not use in the finalised piece. She discussed how the piece reflects memories from her childhood and the emotions she felt. She explored these different emotions through her movement. She was trying to make the movements feel literal to how she had felt. It seems harder to explain than how Lauren explained it but of course, she has dedicated a lot of her time into studying this.

The style of movement that Lauren performed was very fluid and easy to watch. I feel it will influence me in my own choreography and movement because I would like to dance with the same quality of movement that she had. I aspire to make work in a similar style to this because I feel there is a lot to explore and it is contrasting to what I have done previously. The movements were sometimes intricate and sometimes much more bold. She portrayed the emotion of vulnerability well not only through her movement but her expressions too.

I would have liked to have seen the piece as a whole with both dancers because Lauren said she could feed off her partner. I wonder whether she would have performed differently in that situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment