Sunday 11 March 2012

Dance and Disability Discussion

Wednesday 29th February


We spent time during our Improvisation lesson to discuss dance and disability. It is something that I haven't worked with before coming to University and therefore, I am interested to learn more about it.

We spoke about the difference between the disabilities you can see and those that you can't. As a member of Perspective Dance Company, I work with both Karen and Fiona very closely who both have disabilities, so I have began to experience first what it is like. I find it the same as any other class I would take normally. You have to work with things and around things but in the end it is still the same.

I enjoyed hearing Fiona perspective of dealing with Aspergers because I know she can find it difficult to communicate with people at times. Its nice to know more in order to be able to help her if she needs it.

"Different, not necessarily bad."  Fiona Butler

Karen lead a workshop with Hayley on how she has to adapt the practical work in order to accommodate the movement she has in her body. The movements have the same principle but just done in a slightly different way.

Overall, I'm glad I know more about it because it is something I could consider for the future but also helping the people around me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment