Wednesday 7 November 2012

Motherland



Thursday 1st November 2012
Motherland
Vincent Dance Theatre
Birmingham Hippodrome
Directed by Charlottle Vincent

I did not really know what to expect from this piece before going to see it. I've never heard of Vincent Dance Theatre and I haven't seen any other work by Charlotte Vincent.

After watching Motherland, I feel I have some much food for thought. There seemed to be so many symbolic meanings in the piece that I could relate to because we have talked about them in either Placing Practise in Context or Dance Analysis.

Motherland to me, was very hard hitting, raw and truthful.

I made some quite in depth notes during the performance which take a lot of explaining! Here are some of the ideas that I took away from the piece.

  • Gender
  • Age difference
  • Unity
  • Strength
  • Naivety
  • Male gaze
  • Humour
  • Traditional stereotypes
  • Challenging stereotypes
  • Nature
  • Fertility
  • Sexuality
  • Repetition
  • Frustrations
  • Blood
  • Roles
  • Single Parenthood
  • Apposing styles of music (Classical and Rock).
  • Maturity
  • Modern Society

No comments:

Post a Comment