Thursday 23 February 2012

Duet- Work in Progress

Monday 20th Feb

The Aim
Today we had to show the ideas we have for our duet so far. We wanted to explain how the score we have currently been working with is an improvised score but we would like the score to have the potential to develop into a set piece of choreography.

We have been exploring the proximity between us. By using the blindfolds we wanted to portray how our other senses have been heightened because of not being able to see. I believe that sight is the most important sense and without it you become more aware of everything around you by relying on the others.

In the section we showed, we explored the awareness of the spine and the joints. Only I was blindfolded which was something new we hadn't tried before. We started close together and then moved away from each other to dance independently.



The Feedback
  • Should the blindfolds be used or should we see the eyes closed? The image of blindfolds relates to many other things and the audience may be distracted by this.
  • Rather than staying in one place, can you travel the piece more?
  • Maybe change the position of the audience? Bring them in closer so its more intimate.
  • Develop the studio practise into a piece.
  • Vary the contact between each other rather than just using the arms.
  • Switch between dependence and independence.
  • It stood out that the person blindfolded just moved whereas the other dancer was conscious of what they were doing. Is this because they knew the audience was watching?
  • Look at Lisa Nelson.


My feelings after the feedback
After the feedback, I think both me and Emma were a bit lost and bewildered by the whole showing. We had mixed opinions for the blindfold idea and this really made us question whether we should continue with or without them.

I didn't understand if what we had being to develop was right or suitable. I felt the feedback was really inconclusive and just left me confused. I had a million and one questions that I felt were left unanswered. Saying all of that though, watching everyone elses pieces really benefited me. I was able to learn, observe and make notes about what I thought which we could then bring forward to our own piece to review.

I think me and Emma would like some more personal feedback in order to really establish our next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment