Friday 3 February 2012

Weekly Overview

Monday 23rd January- Friday 27th January


The first lesson of the week was Technique Phrase Class. We went through the movement phrase we have been looking at for a number of weeks. We gave individual feedback to another member of the group; the feedback I received and discussion I had really stood out to me this week in particular.
Feedback:
·         Believe in what you’re doing.
·         Don’t look at others dancing around you.
·         There is no competition in the class, everyone is equal.
·         Dance because you love it.

In Choreographic Workshop, we looked at the resources we had for choreography. I really liked the idea of experimenting with sound, temperature and speed.  It is something I would like to explore further maybe to find some inspiration for our duets.

Sound:
·         Listening to others in the room
·         Listening to water/ liquid
·         Covering the ears to make everything echo
·         Feet shuffling and stamping (contrast)

Temperature:
·         Wall/ Radiator
·          Using different body parts
·         Hands were warmer than my feet
·         This affected how they responded to the same temperature

Speed:
·         Slow walking pace
·         Running around the room
·         Didn’t really explore a mid pace
·         I was observing other peoples paces

Our Experiential Anatomy lesson was one that I really enjoyed again. I found myself with a partner that I haven’t really worked with before. I didn’t know how we would respond to each other’s movements. However, I was really pleasantly surprise! We were very creative with the movements and experimented with ideas that I didn’t expect to. I came away from this lesson really positively and I would like to work with this person more often to see if we could create the same atmosphere again.

Part of our homework was to go on a trip to the art gallery with our duet partner to see if we could gain any inspiration from it. We went as a small group of people together. I feel I would have like to have spent more time looking and reflecting on what I think the art is trying to portray. I feel others in the group were less appreciative and therefore, I felt rushed to finish. Maybe I will need to find time in order to try this again on my own.

Our final lesson of the week was SRT with a guest lecturer, Suzanna Recchia. I was very fond of the work that we did in this lesson because we got the chance to learn many different phrases. I enjoy learning phrases because I get to try movements I haven’t attempted before. It challenges my ability and develops my knowledge. I also like the fact she wanted the class to be very disciplined. This is something I am used to and I like to have.

Overall, I have enjoyed the lessons I have taken part in this week.  Next week I would like to start doing more work towards my duet with Emma. I would like to come up with some ideas so we can start moving together in the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment