Friday 17 February 2012

Nutcracker Review

Nutcracker!
Choreographer: Matthew Bourne
Venue: Birmingham Hippodrome
10/02/12

I have become interested in watching Matthew Bourne's work since I worked as part of his 'rebourne' project in 2011. So far, I have seen Dorian Gray, Cinderella and now Nutcracker! There's something about the way he regenerates classic pieces into abstract contemporary that makes me want to see it. It is so clever how he can keep the storyline similar but change the setting, the characters and the whole portrayal of the piece.

As soon as I found out Nutcracker! was coming to Birmingham, I knew I had to see it. I have watched a small clip of the show before and I wanted to see the piece in its
entirety. I did not know the storyline to the show before hand and I was hoping I was going to be able to follow.
The whole piece was very theatrical and comical for contemporary dance, but I guess that comes with the nature of Matthew Bourne's ideas for the piece. It was bright and colourful in every aspect, costumes, set and choreogrpahy.
I feel that even though he is a contemporary choreographer, his work is still very classically based. Many of the dancers within his company have been classically trained. Is this just for Nutcracker! or for his other shows aswell? I like his style of choreography because I am very much a classical dancer myself. I feel it gives him permisson to do ballet turned in, in a contemporary fashion. There's something about his work that I really understnad and grasp, I just don't know what it is myself.
Overall, I enjoyed this show so much, even though I may have a slightly biased opinion! Everything about it is witty and clever and mezmorising to watch. Now I just want to see it again!!


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment